John Manke is an active former Bay View resident who is involved in numerous neighborhood organizations, including the Bay View Historical Society, the Humboldt Park Fourth of July Association and the Shore Shore Farmers Market. He believes Bay View has a fine tradition in its past that we do not want to lose in the future.
In the early days of the Town of Lake, a school was built near E. Bay St. for the students. In the 1870's, they built the Red Brick School on what is now S. Wentworth Ave. between E. Russell Ave. and E. Pryor Ave. After the Village of Bay View was incorporated into the City of Milwaukee, Alderman Theo Otjen proposed purchasing Schildknecht's Beer Garden and building a new school to replace the Red Brick School. It was called the 17th District School and then Trowbridge Street School.
The old Red Brick School had been used for meetings of the Village of Bay View Board besides being used as a school. Imagine going to a school that did not have electricity or indoor plumbing. Indoor plumbing and home electricity did not come to Bay View until after the merger into Milwaukee. The lack of sewers, electricity and indoor plumbing were the main reason for Bay View ceasing to be a village. If the population exceeds a certrain amount of people, and they all have outhouses, then in due course of time there will be a typhoid or cholera epidemic coming, as it did in the past to the City of Milwaukee. Check the history of the Major Seminary in St. Francis to see what such an epidemic can do to the people living there.