St. Francis may waive residency requirement for department heads
St. Francis - The city is moving away from its requirement that all department heads live within St. Francis' 2.9-square-mile area.
The Common Council tonight will consider a request from Fire Chief Frank Lockwood to waive the requirement. He will cite an exception the council made to its ordinance when it hired City Engineer Melinda Dejewski and allowed her to live outside the city.
City Administrator Ralph Voltner said Dejewski accepted less compensation in exchange for the requirement being waived. The ordinance has been in place "forever," but does not specify a rationale for the residency requirement, he said.
More Milwaukee County News
- Truck hits, kills 83-year-old woman crossing street in Bay View
- Groups to provide $1 million for YMCA’s urban mission
- Means resigns as leader of Milwaukee turnaround district (56)
- Stegman is new president of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Green Sheet: When RFK slipped into Appleton for Joe McCarthy’s funeral (6)