A Cudahy season that started going downhill after a 2-0 start came to an end that was embarrassing beyond the 52-14 Woodland Conference whipping from New Berlin West on Oct. 22.
The Packers played their home and season finale without 17 players who were suspended because of their alleged involvement in vandalism incidents on the St. Francis High School grounds in the days before St. Francis’ 38-7 victory over the Packers on Oct. 17.
There reportedly was damage to the football field, but none was evident at the St. Francis-Cudahy game. A photo showing the message board at St. Francis with paint on it can be found at todaystmj4.com/news/local/32692404.html. Damage was reported to be in the vicinity of $1,000.
Cudahy coach Steve Madden preferred to speak about the 29 players who were in uniform for the New Berlin West game.
“They played hard,” Madden said. “They all wanted to be there. Some of them got their first taste of varsity experience. We had some seniors starting who never started a game before. It was a good opportunity for them.
“We had some seniors playing their last game who played hard, and they have nothing to feel bad about. We got a lot of underclassmen some playing time, and hopefully that will carry over for success next year.”
After the Packers (2-6 in the Woodland, 2-7 overall) allowed the opening kickoff to be retuned for a touchdown, Ryan Schmidt teamed with Derric Junakin on a 70-yard scoring strike to tie the game just 75 seconds in.
The Vikings (3-5, 3-5) assumed control with a field goal and three touchdowns to take a 30-7 lead. Todd Szymuszkiewicz scored for Cudahy on a 28-yard run with 1:31 left in the first half. New Berlin West added two TDs in the third quarter to pull away.
Schmidt was 2-for-3 for 100 yards. Ryan Scheel completed three of six passes for 22 yards. Junakin had three catches for 107 yards. Szymuszkiewicz carried 17 times for 83 yards.
Kris Zarek was in on 10 1/2 tackles, Junakin on 7 1/2.
- South Shore police report: July 28, 2016 issue
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- South Shore police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- South Shore police report: July 7, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 30, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 9, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 2, 2016 issue