Richards retains his position as St. Francis mayor
Incumbent looks forward to continued development
Incumbent Al Richards beat newcomer James Czerwinski and write-in candidate David Sopolinski in the mayoral race April 1.
The vote total, according to unofficial results April 1:
Al Richards (i) 1,117
James Czerwinski 1,006
David Sopolinski 134
Election results remain unofficial until they are certified by the board of canvassers, which met April 2, after South Shore NOW's deadline.
Voter turnout was about 39 percent.
Richards said the campaign went as expected. To promote his platform, he went door to door campaigning, posted signs around the city and advertised his Web site.
"I told the truth and let the people decide," he said.
Richards said he has followed the city's Smart Growth plan and looks forward to implementing future developments to enhance the city during his second term.
During his years in office, he has attended monthly meetings with the Inter-Governmental Cooperation Council, a group of mayors and village presidents in Milwaukee County. He was appointed by the ICC to serve on the Milwaukee County Emergency Medical Services Council. He was a member of the St. Francis 4th of July committee and the Community Development Authority, and is a member of the Planning Commission. He was chairman of the St. Francis 50th Anniversary Committee.
He has been a member of the St. Francis Days Committee, the St. Francis Lions Club and the St. Francis Association of Commerce.
He was treasurer of the Unity Evangelical Lutheran Church council and vice chair of the St. Francis Veterans Memorial Construction Committee.
Richards served in the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1968.
The annual salary for the part-time, four-year position of mayor is $8,174.66.
Chantel Balzell can be reached at (262) 446-6602.
- South Shore police report: July 28, 2016 issue
- NOW's user submitted stories, photos will be discontinued in early August
- South Shore police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- #BestSummerEverNOW: Share your 2016 summer photos of you in the Milwaukee suburbs
- South Shore police report: July 7, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 30, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 9, 2016 issue
- South Shore police report: June 2, 2016 issue