Alverno Presents announces the return of Global Union for its sixth year! This free festival of world music and culture returns to Milwaukee’s beautiful Humboldt Park in Bay View on September 17 and 18, from noon – 5 p.m., rain or shine. Six bands, two days, one incredible park, no cost – the perfect way for families and the community to spend a weekend! Several food and merchandise vendors will have items available for purchase. Artists from the Congo, Colombia, Bulgaria, France (by way of Spain), Italy and Ghana will travel to Milwaukee for the last, and best, party of the summer: one that celebrates individual expression and global commonality. Complete artist bios, video clips, and links to artists’ web sites are available at http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu/pages/shows/Global-Union.aspx. Artist photos may be downloaded at http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu/pages/media.aspx.
Here is the lineup for this year’s Global Union:
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Diblo Dibala – 1:00 p.m.
Bomba Estéreo – 2:30 p.m.
Kultur Shock – 4 p.m.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Sergent Garcia – 1:00 p.m.
Marco Calliari – 2:30 p.m.
Blitz the Ambassador – 4:00 p.m.
Global Union deeply appreciates the support of the Gold Medal Winning Milwaukee County Parks. Sponsors for Global Union include: National Endowment for the Arts, Milwaukee County Parks, Forest County Potawatomi Foundation, The Helen Bader Foundation, Lightburn Designs, Bob and Pam Klein, Wisconsin Arts Board, 800ceoread, Direct Supply, Rishi Tea, WMSE 91.7, WUWM 89.7, WHAD 90.7, The Onion/AV Club, Third Coast Digest, Present Music, Milwaukee Film, WAVE, Pabst Theatres, Italian Community Center, La Causa, and The Baha’i of Milwaukee.
Alverno Presents, the performing arts series of Alverno College, is celebrating its 52nd year. The series has innovated beyond our history as the longest running, continuous arts presenter in the city, to our niche of presenting contemporary dance, world music and jazz and an array of performance events. Alverno Presents shares the school’s mission by ensuring broad access to and participation in learning, experiencing and developing the arts for the learning community
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar