The U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary was here this week explaining the benefits of the National Health Care Reform Act to Seniors and while that may have been beneficial for them, it was not for me.
I’m 38-years-old and have Juvenile Rheumatoid Poly-articular Arthritis. I was diagnosed at the age 2 in 1975. In recent years, my insurance company has used this to move me into higher payment tiers for my prescriptions and increase my out-of-pocket expenses through higher costs. My medication that once cost $110 for a three month supply, now costs me nearly $1,000 for the same medication. I am forced to pay these higher costs and take these medications, or I risk permanent disability and irreversible joint damage.
I’m not the only one who has this problem,so while this may fall on deaf ears many friends of mine are living with the same dilemma. These circumstances not only put our financial obligations at risk but our health too.
Health care reform needs to include stopping health insurance companies from taking advantage of those who suffer with chronic life altering diseases. Every dime we earn goes towards our medical care, costs and the treatment thereof.
Last year alone, health insurers reported record profits as they continue to raise costs to their consumers.
In just a few weeks, I’ll be losing my home due to foreclosure which is just another fight to pay for the medical care and medications I need to prevent any furthur progression of my disease or worse more joint damage.
Perhaps the Secretary should have stopped by to see me.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar