On Tuesday, May 14th, 2013, the girls of the Saint Thomas More track & field team accomplished something they never have before.
They won a Conference championship.
STM has had a girls’ track & field team since 1990 and has had some remarkable athletes come through the program, even some individual event Conference champions, but never has the team accomplished this feat.
The ladies scored 150 points, 22 more than the second-place team, Kenosha St. Joseph Academy. Individual event Conference championships were earned by junior Maria Missurelli in the pole vault, senior Delaney Verba in the discus, and junior Heidi Golembiewski in the shot put. On a team with only 20 athletes, nearly every girl on the team competed in multiple events. Leading the way were seniors Verba, Alicia Kennedy, Katie Gebhard, and Korina Hendricks. They combined for 44 of the team’s 150 points. Hendricks, who recently broke the school record in the 800m Run, with a time of 2:26.00, placed second in all three distance races: the 800m, 1600m, and 3200m Runs. Kennedy earned bronze medals in pole vault and triple jump.
Missurelli also added a silver medal in the 100m High Hurdles, and junior Carolyn Sikora took home the bronze in the 400m Dash. Sikora, along with sophomores Katie Young and Lexi Starosta and freshman Reanna Wicker, earned bronze in the 4x400m Relay. Junior Alix Koenig also took on the task of running all three distance races, and earned the team 14 points with her performances. Young (12.5 points) and fellow sophomore Kaytlyn Vajgrt (10 points) ran four and five races, respectively, including preliminaries, to contribute to the team victory.
Members of the first Metro Classic Conference Champion team are: Korina Hendricks, Delaney Verba, Alicia Kennedy, Katie Gebhard, Alix Koenig, Maria Missurelli, Heidi Golembiewski, Carolyn Sikora, Madeleine Hein, Gina Sanfelippo, Megan Wengelewski, Rachel Welch, Kaytlyn Vajgrt, Katie Young, Lexi Starosta, Noelle Christensen, Noelie Ronczka, Reanna Wicker, and Hunter Bergmann. Head Coach Dan Steffes (TM ’03) is assisted by Jenny Piorkowski, Griffin Loehner (STM ’08), Tim Smith (STM ’10), Kevin Gleeson, and Pat Idstein.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar