128th Anniversary commemoration of Bay View Tragedy to honor seven killed in labor struggle
The 128th anniversary commemoration of the Bay View Tragedy will be held on the first Sunday of May, honoring the seven who were killed by the state militia while marching on behalf of the eight-hour day campaign on May 5, 1886, outside the Bay View Rolling Mills.
The event will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday, May 4, on the site of the State Historical Marker for the Bay View Rolling Mills, S. Superior St. and E. Russell Ave., Milwaukee.
The event, which has been celebrated annually on the first Sunday of May for the last 28 years, attracts 300 or more persons each you. It is held outdoors in front of the marker and is free.
Wisconsin State AFL-CIO President Phil Neuenfeldt will be keynote speaker in the hour-long ceremony that will also feature singing by longtime folksinger Larry Penn and the Solidarity Singers of Madison, along with a re-enactment of the 1886 event by the Milwaukee Public Theatre and the Milwaukee Mask and Puppet Theatre.
The Wisconsin Labor History Society is lead sponsor of the event, which is planned by a committee that includes representative of the Bay View Historical Society, residents of the Bay View area, union leaders and others.
For information, contact Ken Germanson, President Emeritus of the Wisconsin Labor History Society, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 414-687-6954.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar