As we come upon the 4th anniversary for Wisconsin’s smoke-free workplace law, people are finally starting to realize the benefits of working in an environment with clean air.
When the law first went into affect, smokers were upset because they would no longer be able to enjoy a cigarette in their favorite establishment. For the workers and non-smokers, however, they were able to breathe a little easier.
For many, working in a smoke-free environment has resulted in several improvements in their health. For example, bartenders who have been exposed to second-hand smoke while at work reported that they had a decrease in respiratory symptoms. It is because of this law that less people are affected by second-hand smoke. It is important for employees to be healthy enough to do their jobs and this law has made that possible.
While some people may still be upset about this law, it is important for them to understand the great things it has done for employees, as well as other customers of Milwaukee establishments. Spreading the word about what the smoke-free workplace law has done will help more people understand how unhealthy second-hand smoke is, and stop smoking in general.
The Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network (WAATPN) wants to protect the non-smokers, and also assist smokers in their fight to quit. We encourage individuals looking to end their use of tobacco products to call the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar