If you take a stroll down Layton Avenue you’ll notice that a piece of Cudahy’s architectural and entertainment history is undergoing transformation. The old Majestic Theater is the first building to get a facelift with the help of Cudahy’s Façade Improvement Program.
Work crews have removed the 1970’s-era stucco from the exterior of the building at 3620 East Layton, which once housed the Majestic Theater. The goal now is to return the structure to its original appearance, including restoration of the cream city brick, new siding, awnings and tile and a brand new marquee.
Construction will continue over the next several weeks and then will be completed in spring.
“It is fitting that the city’s first façade improvement project be done to such a significant building in Cudahy’s history,” said Mayor Ryan McCue. “The revitalization of this structure is just the beginning of the rebirth of our entire downtown area.”
The old Majestic Theater building is owned by the Ademi and O’Reilly Law Firm. Other tenants include Anderson Smith Advertising Consultants, Scherrer Insurance and Mr. Paul’s Hairstyling for Men.
To see more photos of the building's transformation over the years, visit the Department of Economic Development's website, www.cudahy4business.com. Click on "Old Majestic Theater" under the "Programs and Projects" menu.
The Façade Improvement Program provides design and construction grants to help commercial business and property owners reinvest in existing downtown properties. The Community Development Authority (CDA) has awarded nine grants, and awaits approval for additional funding to sustain the program. Watch for more construction to begin in the spring.
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- Cudahy National Night Out Thursday August 4th
- Return to Packard Avenue celebration part of Cudahy National Night Oout
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- Magician Tim Stolba to Perform at Oak Creek Public Library
- Queen of Diamonds Fastpitch Tryouts
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival