Aurora Women’s Pavilion Center for Sexual Health & Wellness Receives Grant to Treat Vulvar Pain
It is a sensitive subject for many women. The issue is chronic vulvar pain, and it impacts one out of six women at some point in their lives. However, most women are unaware of their treatment options.
To fill this need, the Optimal Health and Wellness Center at the Aurora Women's Pavilion is establishing a vulvar pain clinic. The clinic is being started with a $7,500 grant from National Vulvodynia Association along with a $7,500 matching grant from Aurora Health Care.
The funds will enable the Optimal Health and Wellness Center to enhance its diagnostic procedures for vulvar pain and develop an educational program for patients and the local medical community.
Danielle Tonelli, DO, a women’s health specialist, was instrumental in obtaining the grant.
“This is a service not currently found in the community,” Dr. Tonelli says. “We want women to know they have options.”
Women with chronic vulvar pain are often misdiagnosed because its symptoms mimic those of common vaginal infections, and it is a topic not generally covered in most medical training programs. One study found that almost 60 percent of patients reported visiting three or more health care providers to receive a diagnosis, while 40 percent remained undiagnosed after three consultations.
The Optimal Health and Wellness Center at the Aurora Women's Pavilion brings together the value of good nutrition, healthy activity, specialized medical resources and revitalizing complementary medicine services.
Aurora Health Care is a not-for-profit Wisconsin health care provider and a national leader in efforts to improve health care quality. Aurora offers services at sites in more than 90 communities throughout eastern Wisconsin.
- Holiday Folk Fair International Chef Stage to Feature Traditional Root Recipes
- Special Events Showcased at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Halloween Treats that Won't Rot Your Children's Teeth
- State Fair Brings Mini Fair to Children's Hospital Patients
- Holiday Folk Fair Turkish Folk Dance Group Embodies True Spirit of Cultural Understanding
- National Celebrities & Local Experts on Food, Home & Gardening to Present at Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show
- 2011 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show – “Where Ideas Bloom”
- Aurora West Allis Medical Center Supports Neighborhood Free Clinic
- Holiday Folk Fair International Announces Additional Entertainment, Attractions
- Bread on Display at Holiday Folk Fair International