“A Better World” is the theme for this year’s Spring Concert by The Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). The concert will be presented at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 9 and Saturday, Apr. 10 in Schwan Hall at Wisconsin Lutheran College, 8815 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., The Milwaukee Choristers’ conductor since 1993, describes the concert as one that “affirms the optimism that has seen humanity through even the darkest of times – encouraged by the hope of a brighter tomorrow.” The program he has put together reflects that theme and showcases the versatility of the chorus, whose 75 members come from communities throughout Milwaukee County including South Milwaukee, Cudahy and St. Francis.
Kinchen has drawn upon the classical repertoire with works by Haydn, Brahms, da Palestrina, Faure and American composer Randall Thompson, from whose “Peaceable Kingdom” the Choristers will sing two selections.
Broadway and the movies will be represented by selections from “West Side Story,” “My Fair Lady” and “The Wizard of Oz.”
The program also includes music from the Brazilian rain forest and will end with the popular Peter Wilhousky choral arrangement of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
The entire program is posted at www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
Tickets purchased in advance are $15, with discounted rates of $10 for seniors and $5 for students. At the door, the ticket prices will be $18, $12 and $6, respectively. All seating is general admission.
Tickets can be purchased via the chorus website, www.milwaukeechoristers.org, by calling 414/354-1933 or from any member of the 70-voice chorus.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Railway Adventure Trip
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar